For those readers of the Global History Blog looking for a post-doctoral fellowship, here’s the good opportunity on transnational Korean studies! University of California , San Diego has announced a postdoctoral/lecturer position in Transnational Korean Studies for the 2017-18 academic year. The call for applications explains more:
The Institute of Arts & Humanities within the Division of Arts & Humanities at UC San Diego is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. The recipient of a five-year (2013-18) grant from the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) in South Korea, UC San Diego is pleased to announce a postdoctoral/lecturer position in Transnational Korean Studies for the 2017-18 academic year. This inter-disciplinary position is part of a campus-wide effort to place historical and contemporary issues concerning the Korean peninsula – migration, colonialism/neo-imperialism, developmentalism, cultural flows, security, and corruption, for example – in the regional and global contexts to which they belong. We are especially interested in candidates who can dialogue with both the humanities and the social sciences and whose research and teaching complement the existing strengths of UC San Diego’s Program in Transnational Korean Studies (http://koreanstudies.ucsd.edu/). Areas such as North Korean culture and politics, film and media studies, transnational labor, minority populations, and comparative economies, among others, are particularly welcome. In addition to conducting advanced mentored research, the successful fellow/lecturer will be expected to offer one lecture course on the quarter system, present one research lecture, and participate in the activities of the Program. The preferred candidate will have demonstrated strong leadership or a commitment to support diversity, equity, and inclusion in an academic setting.
For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d/index.html. The on-line application deadline for the 2017-2018 academic year is Friday, January 27, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants are required to have earned their Ph.D. between 2009 and the time of appointment (September 1, 2017). Preference will be given to applicants in non-tenured positions.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Closing Date: January 27, 2017
To Apply: To apply for the AKS Postdoctoral Fellow/Lecturer in Transnational Korean Studies at UC San Diego, please submit the following materials on-line at http://apptrkr.com/923100.
(1) Cover Letter explaining research and teaching interests
(2) Your most recently updated CV
(3) Abstract of the dissertation
(4) Proposals for one lecture-style course
(5) An optional short statement outlining future research
(6) Three letters of recommendation that include a discussion of research and teaching abilities (letters of recommendation must be uploaded through a dossier service or from the recommenders directly)
(7) A separate statement describing past experience in activities that promotes diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions.
For further questions about this position, please contact Todd A. Henry (mailto:email@example.com), Search Committee Chair, UC San Diego Program in Transnational Korean Studies.
AA-EOE: The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
La Jolla, CA
• Cover Letter – Explaining research and teaching
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Abstract of the Dissertation
• Statement of Teaching – Proposals for one lecture-style course
• Statement of Research – Outline of future research (Optional)
• Contributions to Diversity Description – Please describe any teaching strategies you currently use or plan to use to foster a diverse and inclusive learning experience, and to enable all students to excel and fully participate in the learning process.
3 letters of reference required
If this sounds interesting, consider applying via this website.